Tuesday, August 15, 2017

32 I take my caffeine where I can get it



32
I take my caffeine where I can get it;
I take my caffeine where I can get it;
I take pleasure in knowing that my life
Is in movement the way it is, not the way
It could be; it is full sufficient. I,
Feel, a golden aura of eased rapture;
To know it, is exquisite. I’ll ride the
Mule-train, mule-train; letters far-out to the
People who go West, curlicues brushing
Their ears, their necks. I’ve got odds on them's:
All money they’ll get them all. But I am
A lonely man, “they call the wind Maria.”
I’d be Cato, and rip out my guts,
Than spin this failed web and tug me against me.
All that Dante could do but with crudity
Point out an old gray man, a horror of
Misconception and frivolity, to
Be yarded now with a pensive malice.
I’ll take my caffeine where it sits on yet
Cool granite up the gorges and waterfalls
In the Sierras, with rattlesnake and eggs
For breakfast, the cold sun on the ridges

Breaking my boots. Odds are, by nightfall.


- Anatol Cordua (c) 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment